This is a common sensory awareness grounding exercise that many people find to be a helpful tool to reduce anxiety, increase presence and invoke a sense of calmness & self-control. You should feel more present, relaxed & empowered at the end of the exercise. Here you go!
Pay attention to your body and notice:
- 5 things you can see. Say them out loud if you like.
- 4 things you can fee. Like your feet on the ground or the air on your skin.
- 3 things you can hear. Say them out loud if you like.
- 2 things you can smell. In your imagination or in reality.
- 1 thing for which you are grateful. Say it out loud if you like.
Repeat these 5 steps as often as you want or need to feel present, grounded and more calm.