Empowering Yoga for stress, anxiety, depression & trauma
This class is designed to increase the resilience of critical task performers working in high-stress environments and to alleviate symptoms of post-traumatic stress. Classes are specifically created for people suffering from stress, anxiety, trauma, depression or PTSD including first responders, military personnel, veterans, helping professionals, trauma survivors and their family members.
Please contact me for more information. All inquiries are confidential.
I am partnering with the Ottawa Anxiety and Trauma Clinic, the Trauma Healing Center and the Centre for Treatment of Sexual Abuse and Childhood Trauma to offer weekly Empowering Yoga and iRest Guided Meditation classes for trauma survivors. Here are the details.
WEDNESDAYS 10:00am – 11:00am
September 19, 2018 to December 12, 2018
January 23, 2019 to June 26, 2019
No Registration needed - Drop in at the Ottawa Anxiety & Trauma Clinic
Suite 202 Billings Bridge Mall
Your first class is free
“We are grateful for the work of Lynda Pedley in filling an important gap in trauma-related services – the need to address the physical consequences of psychological trauma. The Ottawa Anxiety and Trauma Clinic is pleased to be able to host Lynda’s trauma-sensitive yoga program, as we believe it is an important complement to the mental health services that we provide.”
Empowering Yoga for Women
The main objectives of Empowering Yoga for Women are to help you feel comfortable in your body, to learn self-regulation skills, and to improve your ability to direct attention away from negative thoughts. No experience is necessary; I design these classes to be accessible to everyone regardless of physical ability.
This class is not currently scheduled
Please contact me if you’re interested in this class. All enquiries are confidential.
BENEFITS OF AN EMPOWERING YOGA CLASS
Empowering Yoga is based on two key cornerstones of invitation and inquiry. By offering choice and encouraging curiosity, I guide you to connect with and reclaim your body in the present. All classes include mindful movement, breath awareness and iRest guided meditation.
- Develop proactive stress management skills so symptoms do not progress to post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Become more present by drawing awareness to the breath and body sensations, thus shifting attention from past trauma.
- Build a sense of self-empowerment, self-awareness and self-control.
- Develop a flexible mindset that can rise to meet day-to-day challenges and quickly return to a calm, relaxed state.
- Decrease hyper-vigilance and hypersensitivity to noise, crowds, movement, unexpected touch, and visually stimulating environments by increasing present moment body awareness.
- Improve the quality of sleep and attention to self-care needs such as nutrition, rest and recreation.
- Improve energy level to support meeting your daily needs and goals.
- Neutralize anxiety, fear, anger, depression, insomnia and chronic pain.
WHAT TO EXPECT IN AN EMPOWERING YOGA CLASS
- In Empowering Yoga, I practice yoga as a way of becoming more friendly with your body
- I offer a safe, supportive, non-judgmental environment
- I am a Certified Yoga Teacher with specialized training in a trauma-sensitive approach to yoga. I’m also a Certified iRest Teacher.
- My presentation of yoga and meditation is NOT religious
- I cultivate strength, flexibility, balance and relaxation while encouraging participants to take care of themselves, listen to their own body and respond in a way that honours their unique experience
- I emphasize self-awareness and self-regulation through mindful breathing, rhythmic movement and guided meditation
- I do no hands-on, physical assists during yoga classes
- I discourage competition and encourage each person’s personal exploration of the postures and breathing practices for their own benefit.
Since 2015 I’ve posted a Blog of some sort every month which I have called the “Monthly Motivation”. These Blogs are on topics that relate to my work and my ongoing training and experience in the areas of personal and professional growth, as well as physical, mental and emotional health […]Read More
A few years ago I came across the article below from the Hearth and Stroke Foundation about the negative effects of stress on heart health. While it’s all true, and the article has some helpful tips, it doesn’t get at what I have learned is the only sustainable way to […]Read More
To celebrate International Coaching Week, I’m offering my 6 week Leadership & Life “Tune-up” package for everyone even if you are not a past client of mine. Go to the Leadership & Life Coaching page of my web site for more information about this and my other coaching packages. I […]Read More
Do you struggle to protect your boundaries and honour your values? Do you find yourself saying yes when you really want to say no? I know I did until I found William Ury’s marvelous book “The Power of a Positive No”. The principles and process in this book have shaped […]Read More